History and Background
Being one of the older homes in the Town, this home was built in 1849 by Dr. John G. Brown, who in addition to being a physician, was also a planter, money lender, and Virginia state politician. The architecture of this historic home is a combination of English Georgian and early Greek Revival in the United States. A massive Greek Revival portico with its triangular pediment is its most striking feature facing main street. The painted walls of the house are solid masonry, being four bricks thick from the cellar to the roof line. Brick chimneys anchor the south and north ends of the house. The structure of the house has not been altered significantly since its construction except for the addition of a modern kitchen and bathrooms. The cellar in fact still contains the original massive cooking fireplace and is now our Pub. Plus there are still storage bins for vegetables in the cellar. Near the rear of the house and across Grove Street are the original Carriage House and stables which have been converted to a residence. Also the office of the Carriage house and stable master for Dr. Brown are located there. Of interest in the mansion are the heart pine flooring, central hallway with large staircase, the trim which is unique to each room of the house, and the central focal points of each distinct fireplace and mantel in every room.
A family who acquired the property in 1988, are largely responsible for the design of the gardens, particularly the American and English boxwoods encompassing the perimeter and the formal gardens. The reflecting pool and brick paver walks in the shadow of the large magnolia tree are located directly off the rear porch of the house. The beauty of the home and gardens were visited by over 600 guests during the 2017 Garden Club of Virginia Historic Garden Week. The old garage built by the the owners in the 1950's has been converted by the current owner into the Magnolia Cottage which houses a bar area and restroom for events. Of note is the ancient black walnut (Wedding Tree) on the lawn with its massive limbs which give the perfect location for the many weddings which have taken place there. The Dinkle Pavilion, named for the founders of the Town and the current owner’s family, is just off the patio near the formal gardens. The present owners lease the house, lawns and gardens to hold events such as weddings, receptions, business meetings and teas. Make the business your own and realize the potential with this fabulous and rare property.